UK Circumnavigation

Jenny's two months of sailing, starting at Suffolk Yacht Harbour and heading north to the Caledonian Canal and eventually all the way around the UK ( weather permitting ). I will be meeting friends on route who will share the sailing. Jenny's homepage http://www.jsquared.co.uk/jennyb and the link to Serenity http://www.yacht-serenity.org.uk/

Saturday 19 July 2008

Bangor ( NI ) to Port St Mart ( IOM )

I started off with probability of a Migraine as we started out from Bangor, I just rather assumed that it would disappear as we passed islands out of Belfast Lough. We'd had a change of crew, and was now accompanied by Phil who had taught me to sail in the early 1980s when I crewed for him in his 'Hornet' dingy. The wind was ideal for sailing, although we were motorsailing under jib, and I could not quite get myself to get the mainsail up as I was not feeling too good. I decided that I really was not feeling well, and took a some migraine treatment, but too late and I spent the next few hours being seasick, or lying in my cabin. Luckily Phil is a very experienced sailor. We were heading for Port St Mary on the East side of the Island, and that would either require a route around chicken rock, or a passage through Calf Sound with the tide against us. The water was very disturbed with the swell and the tide flow, but Phil took us through, with only a couple of kn of flow against us. I missed the opportunity to photograph the route through Calf Sound as it was all a bit intense, but here is a view back onto the sunset

Phil knew Port St Mary well as he had learnt to sail here. We moored up against the seawall at a ladder leaving long mooring warps to cope with the tide drop, although the correct place for yacht mooring is towards the shore end of the seawall.

I learnt a few lessons about my ability to sail with a migraine, the effect of the swell and migraine together causing seasickness ( first time in many years ) and when to hand over command to the competent crew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home